Bring out the artist in you while baking this pretty Swiss Roll! It’s too lovely to eat!
Japanese Swiss Roll
Swiss roll! A soft and delicate sponge loved by many. We bring the common Swiss roll to a higher level by painting floral designs.
Cold Egg Whites 5 nos
Caster Sugar 70g
Egg Yolks 5 nos
Caster Sugar 20g
Corn Oil 40ml
Cold Milk 80ml
Vanilla Essence ½ tsp
Top Flour 80g
Baking Powder ½ tsp
Cream Cheese Filling
Cream Cheese, soften 250g
Strawberries, quartered 10 nos
Icing Sugar, sieved 30g
Lemon Juice 20ml
Zest of 1 lemon
Line a 9″ x 12″ (23 x 30cm) Swiss Roll tray with parchment paper leaving 1” allowance hanging around the sides.
- Beat egg yolk and caster sugar till thick and creamy. Stir in oil, milk, vanilla essence and sieved flour mixture (flour and baking powder) in sequence till combined. Set aside.
- Using electric mixer, beat cold egg white till foamy then gradually add in sugar and cornflour mixture and continue to beat till medium stiff peak form.
- With a hand whisk/spatula, gently fold meringue into yolk batter in 3 batches till combined (do not over mix).
Pink Flower Batter
- Remove 2 Tablespoons of plain batter into a small bowl, add in a few drops of red food colouring to achieve desire pink tone. Set aside.
- With 1 tablespoon of the plain batter, pipe some small dots (0.3cm) on the prepared parchment paper to form the centre of the flowers. Bake in preheated 170°C oven for 1 minute. Remove and pipe the pink batter over the dots to form petals of the flowers then bake in the oven for another 1.5 minutes to form the prints.
- Pour reserved plain batter over the prepared flowers, smooth the surface using a spatula and bake for another 15 minutes or till a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake and comes out clean.
- Immediately remove sponge cake from the tray, turn it over onto another piece of parchment paper before peeling off the one that was attached on it. Cover the parchment paper back and set cake aside to cool.
Cream Cheese Filling
- Cream all the ingredients together till smooth. Spread mixture evenly on the sponge cake (the side without design). Top with strawberries then slowly roll it by lifting it up with the parchment paper. Chill Swiss Roll in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before cutting to firm up the filling.
Floral design: Use a small painting brush to paint the stalks and leaves by mixing 1 teaspoon of cocoa and matcha powder separately with hot water instead of using food colourings.