A must-have this Festive season! Only 3 days are needed for you to make this seasonal cake. The combination of treacle, dark muscovado sugar and spices renders a moist, rich fruit cake that makes you reach for seconds.
Christmas Fruit Cake
A rich and moist cake, with deep flavours of treacle, unrefined sugars and spices. Perfect for the festive season!
Mixed Dried Fruits 500g
Unsalted Butter 250g
Muscovado Sugar 125g
Egg 4 nos
Silver Spoon Black
Treacle 1/2 tbsp
Bake King Rempah
Kueh 1 tsp
Salt 1/4 tsp
Bake King Rum
Aroma Paste 1 tsp
Bake King Plain Flour 250g
Bake King Baking Powder 1/2 tsp
Bake King Walnuts
Rum or Brandy 2tbsp
(optional, for drizzling)
1. Preheat oven at 170C.
2. Place rum and mixed fruits into bowl. Stir well, cover and set aside for 2 days.
3. Beat butter and unrefined cane sugar until light. Add eggs one at a time. Add black treacle, rempah kueh, salt and rum aroma paste and mix well.
4. Sift plain flour and baking powder. Take 5 tbsp of sifted flour and mix into the mixed fruits.
5. Add remaining flour to the butter mixture. 6. Fold in mixed fruits and walnuts.
7. Pour batter into a 9-inch greased and lined tin. Bake at 170°C for 15 mins before lowering temperature to 150°C to bake for 1 hour.
8. Remove cake from oven. Spoon 2 tbsp rum or brandy over the cake. Cover with aluminium foil and leave to cool completely in tin.
9. Remove cake from tin. Warm apricot glaze and brush on cake. Cover cake with a layer of marzipan, followed by a layer of ready to roll icing.
Tips – If you drizzle rum or brandy over the cake immediately after the cake is baked, it gives the cake a softer and fluffier texture.