A pastry filled with real fruit, with a light tint of cinnamon!
Apple and Blackberry Turnovers
This recipe can be prepared in advance. Cook and fruit compote the night before and assemble the next day.
This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
Puff Pastry Ready-made 640g
Large Apples, Peeled 2nos
Billington’s Unrefined 50g
Light Muscovado Sugar
Ground Cinnamon 1tsp
Vanilla Bean Paste 1tbsp
Egg, Beaten 1
Cold Milk 1tbsp
Black Sesame Seeds, 1tbsp
1. In a large saucepan, place the chopped apples, blackberries, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla bean paste. Heat and simmer for 5 – 10 minutes until the apples become soft.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 220ºC (fan 200°C)
4. Roll out two sheets of the puff pastry on to a lightly floured surface and quarter – forming four evenly sliced squares of pastry.
5. Spoon a few tablespoons of the fruit mixture into the centre of the square and then fold over to form a triangle.
6. Crimp the seals with a fork to keep the shape when baking and reduce the filling spilling out.
7. With a knife, create a few small vents in the top to allow the steam to be released.
8. Place a baking tray lined with baking paper. Brush lightly with milk or beaten egg to glaze.
9. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
10. To serve, dust with icing sugar or a drizzle of custard.
The recipe for these delicious pastries are courtesy of our partners, Baking Mad. Do check out their recipes online as well as their Billington Sugars!