A vegan version of Pineapple Tarts, sans eggs and butter. Tart dough remains light and flavourful. The use of ground almonds renders a subtle nutty flavour to the pastry.
Vegan Pineapple Balls
The pastry dough remains pretty light after baking as shortening is used. Vegan butter or margarine can be used for a stronger yellow hue. Skip the salt is margarine is used, as margarine usually has salt already added in.
Icing Sugar 15g
Pineapple Essence 1/4 tsp
Pineapple Juice, 25ml
Top Flour (sifted) 250g
Ground Almonds, 25g
Salt 1/4 tsp
Green Food Colour,
a few drops
Pineapple Paste 225g
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Beat shortening, icing sugar and pineapple essence until light and creamy. Add pineapple juice slowly and mix evenly.
3. Mix in top flour and ground almonds. Combine to form a smooth dough.
4. Wrap dough in cling wrap and chill in fridge for about 20 minutes.
5. Take 55g dough and add green colouring. Knead evenly. Make leaves with green dough.
6. Divide the rest of the dough into 15g each. Wrap 8g of pineapple paste in each piece of dough.
7. Roll dough into round balls. Decorate with leaves and place a clove at the top.
8. Arrange pineapple balls on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
9. Bake for 20 minutes.