A comfort food, crowd-pleaser for many. Serve with berries for a lovely after-meal dessert.
Flourless Chocolate Gateau
If you only have unsalted butter on hand, add in a pinch of salt when you are melting the chocolate.
Dark Chocolate 30g
Salted Butter 20g
Egg Yolk 16g
Baking Soda pinch
Fine Sugar 20g
Egg White 34g
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Melt Chocolate and Butter together. When the chocolate mixture is cool, mix in egg yolk and bicarbonate of soda.
2. Whip egg white until foamy, add sugar and whip until medium peak. Fold whipped egg white into chocolate mixture gently.
3. Spray inside of mini ramekins with cooking spray. Dust with cocoa powder. Fill each ramekin with 1 tablespoon of batter.
4. Fill 6 cavities of the muffin pan with 1/4 inch (1/2cm) of boiling hot water. Place ramekins into the muffin pan cavities. Bake for 10mins at 180°C, reduce to 150°C and bake for another 3 mins.
5. When the cake is done, a toothpick inserted in the centre should be fairly clean with a few sticky crumbs attached. Allow the cakes to cool for a few minutes on the counter and run a toothpick around the edges to loosen the cakes. They can be served in the ramekins.